• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

On 12/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, Big Bird 8855 said:

It was rough and a little sticky.

You didn't give it enough heat.  And your layers of oil might have been too thick. Thinner layers of oil don't just produce an even coating, but they harden faster than a thicker layer of oil. The general rule of thumb is always to wipe the oil on, then carefully wipe it off, then hit it with heat.

Light and heat, as has been said many times, are the enemy of oil, but... heat is the friend of seasoning.  If the seasoning is sticky, keep giving it more heat- and, if you have it, more time exposed to heat.  A slightly lower heat for a longer time tends to polymerize oil a bit better than a quick blast of intense heat.  This is why I always season in an oven.  If your handles come off, like the OPs do, and your wok fits in the oven, that's how I'd do it.

You can't go too thin with the oil layers.  It's way better to have 10 microscopically thin layers than 3 goopy bumpy ones.

And, as mentioned in the original post, I'd hit it with some very fine grit sandpaper (anywhere between 320-600).   This isn't something that's normally done with cast iron, but, cast iron has a much rougher/much more grippier surface than steel.

scott123

scott123

On 12/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, Big Bird 8855 said:

It was rough and a little sticky.

You didn't give it enough heat.  And your layers of oil might have been too thick. Thinner layers of oil don't just produce an even coating, but they harden faster than a thicker layer of oil. The general rule of thumb is always to wipe the oil on, then carefully wipe it off, then hit it with heat.

Light and heat, as has been said many times, are the enemy of oil, but... heat is the friend of seasoning.  If the seasoning is sticky, keep giving it more heat- and, if you have it, more time exposed to heat.  A slightly lower heat for a longer time tends to polymerize oil a bit better than a quick blast of intense heat.  This is why I always season in an oven.  If your handles come off, like the OPs do, and your wok fits in the oven, that's how I'd do it.

You can't go too thin with the oil layers.  It's way better to have 10 microscopically thin layers than 3 goopy bumpy ones.