• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

On 9/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, jedovaty said:

I can't get rid of that shiny spot where the chocolate first hits the mold.  Here's what I've tried:

- super clean the mold

- extra polish on mold with super soft microfiber cloth

- more expensive, professional mold

- two tempering methods (bowl over hot/cold water, silk)

- bringing the mold to 90-95F

Attached photo shows my typical result (photo with 4 bars) and the best results so far (photo with 3 bars).  The best result came from the mold being at roughly 90F this time.  The chocolate I make is from home-roasted beans, using a little cacao butter and sugar, no other ingredients.  I usually do silk tempering right in the wet grinder, but have wanted to improve the "snap", so changed recently to pouring the contents into a bowl, heating to 130F for complete melting, then chilling to roughly 93-95F, adding grated silk, mixing like crazy, then pouring into the molds, smack on the counter rapidly several times, and into the fridge to chill quickly, ~30 minutes. 

I make chocolate in kitchen ambient range 60-75F, and humidity typically averages around 65%, although it can be as low as 40% or high as 80%, since I keep my windows open and live near the ocean.

Can it get any better, or is this the best one can accomplish at home? 

I'm 5-6 years into this hobby and finally starting to tweak these finer points :)

typical results.jpg

best results.jpg

Asked a chocolatier about this, and they said it could be solved by either spraying a clear coat of cocoa butter first or experimenting with your environmental conditions, cooling process, and working temp. 

I asked about coating the cavity the same way you would for a bonbon shell and they said it would not work. Easy enough to try out and make sure, though.

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

On 9/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, jedovaty said:

I can't get rid of that shiny spot where the chocolate first hits the mold.  Here's what I've tried:

- super clean the mold

- extra polish on mold with super soft microfiber cloth

- more expensive, professional mold

- two tempering methods (bowl over hot/cold water, silk)

- bringing the mold to 90-95F

Attached photo shows my typical result (photo with 4 bars) and the best results so far (photo with 3 bars).  The best result came from the mold being at roughly 90F this time.  The chocolate I make is from home-roasted beans, using a little cacao butter and sugar, no other ingredients.  I usually do silk tempering right in the wet grinder, but have wanted to improve the "snap", so changed recently to pouring the contents into a bowl, heating to 130F for complete melting, then chilling to roughly 93-95F, adding grated silk, mixing like crazy, then pouring into the molds, smack on the counter rapidly several times, and into the fridge to chill quickly, ~30 minutes. 

I make chocolate in kitchen ambient range 60-75F, and humidity typically averages around 65%, although it can be as low as 40% or high as 80%, since I keep my windows open and live near the ocean.

Can it get any better, or is this the best one can accomplish at home? 

I'm 5-6 years into this hobby and finally starting to tweak these finer points :)

typical results.jpg

best results.jpg

Asked a chocolatier about this, and they said it could be solved by either spraying a clear coat of cocoa butter first or experimenting with your environmental conditions, cooling process, and working temp.