• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

This is less a problem with recipes than with playing telephone ... 

When my mom was newly married, in the 1950s, when a woman's entire value to the universe hinged on knowing how to cook (which she didn't), she survived by way of desperate phone calls to her best friend to get instructions. 

One day the recipe she wrote down included "clives."

There were no clives in the kitchen.

She ran all over Manhattan looking for them.

One grocer after another said, "no, we don't have those."

Not one grocery professional did her the courtesy of saying, "lady, there's no such thing."

I have no idea how she managed to save dinner.

Whenever I go home for the holidays now I find a random jar in the pantry and label it CLIVES.

paulraphael

paulraphael

When my mom was newly married, in the 1950s, when a woman's entire value to the universe hinged on knowing how to cook (which she didn't), she survived by way of desperate phone calls to her best friend to get instructions. 

She ran all over Manhattan looking for them.

Not one grocery professional did her the courtesy of saying, "lady, there's no such thing."

I have no idea how she solved that one.

Whenever I go home for the holidays now I find a random jar in the pantry and label it CLIVES.

paulraphael

paulraphael

She ran all over Manhattan, looking them.

I have no idea how she solved that one.