• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Edited to update links

I've been posting questions in the APO topic and the Food Dehydration topic, so I thought to join them together. Here's some history of various discussions:

Now I have a total of 5 racks for my APO: 2 original and 3 are Hamilton Houseware's 12" x 17" cooking racks which fit the APO perfectly (a recommendation from @palo who said "They fit perfectly, smoothly slide in and out of the grooves and are rigid enough that there is no concern of them popping out of the grooves").  Via Amazon, here for Canada and Australia and here for the US. For the two racks which came with the APO whose rungs are too wide to support drying food, I got Silpat P52 baking mats which have tiny holes in them; this was a recommendation by @JoNorvelleWalker, and do the job perfectly.

3 Fruit Leather sheets from Bright Kitchen.

The only APO published recipe comes from Scott Heimendinger (Anova) for dehydrating apple chips where he only uses heat on the bottom of the oven. Dehydrating multiple racks means some goo drops to the bottom of the oven which produces jam on the heating element. Does putting the tray over the lower heating element reduce the oven's efficiency? Should the heat source be changed to the rear element? Here's my request on the subject but no answers yet.

Resources and recipes:

Mary T Bell: Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and Food Drying With an Attitude (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

@Okanagancook recommended this https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes.com/

The APO door needs to be propped open to dehydrate foodstuffs. I have learned that a chopstick (~1/4") is enough space and a skewer (~1/8") is not enough. With the latter (skewer), I opened the oven in the morning (after 12 hours) and all surfaces on the door were full of water and the zucchini were still soft and wet.

Here's a discussion of my experiment with marinated zucchini.

TdeV

TdeV

Edited to update links

I've been posting questions in the APO topic and the Food Dehydration topic, so I thought to join them together. Here's some history of various discussions:

Now I have a total of 5 racks for my APO: 2 original and 3 are Hamilton Houseware's 12" x 17" cooking racks which fit the APO perfectly (a recommendation from @palo who said "They fit perfectly, smoothly slide in and out of the grooves and are rigid enough that there is no concern of them popping out of the grooves").  Via Amazon, here for Canada and Australia and here for the US. For the two racks which came with the APO whose rungs are too wide to support drying food, I got Silpat P52 baking mats which have tiny holes in them; this was a recommendation by @JoNorvelleWalker, and do the job perfectly.

I don't yet have a solution for containing a 1/4" thick layer of veg or fruit in an applesauce-consistency (which will be dried into a "fruit leather"). I've asked DH to construct something which uses a sheet of parchment paper, but he raised his eyebrows dubiously, so we'll see. I have two quarter sheet pans which would do in a pinch, but which won't use the oven space efficiently.

The only APO published recipe comes from Scott Heimendinger (Anova) for dehydrating apple chips where he only uses heat on the bottom of the oven. Dehydrating multiple racks means some goo drops to the bottom of the oven which produces jam on the heating element. Does putting the tray over the lower heating element reduce the oven's efficiency? Should the heat source be changed to the rear element? Here's my request on the subject but no answers yet.

Resources and recipes:

Mary T Bell: Complete Dehydrator Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and Food Drying With an Attitude (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The APO door needs to be propped open to dehydrate foodstuffs. I have learned that a chopstick (~1/4") is enough space and a skewer (~1/8") is not enough. With the latter (skewer), I opened the oven in the morning (after 12 hours) and all surfaces on the door were full of water and the zucchini were still soft and wet.

TdeV

TdeV

Edited to update links

Now I have a total of 5 racks for my APO, 3 are Hamilton Houseware's 12" x 17" cooking racks which fit the APO perfectly (a recommendation from @palo who said "They fit perfectly, smoothly slide in and out of the grooves and are rigid enough that there is no concern of them popping out of the grooves").  Via Amazon, here for Canada and Australia, and here for the US. For the two racks which came with the APO whose rungs are too wide to support drying food, I got Silpat P52 baking mats which have tiny holes in them; this was a recommendation by @JoNorvelleWalker, and do the job perfectly.

I don't yet have a solution for containing a 1/4" thick layer of veg or fruit in an applesauce-consistency (which will be dried into a "fruit leather"). I've asked DH to construct something which uses a sheet of parchment paper, but he raised his eyebrows dubiously, so we'll see. I have two quarter sheet pans which would do in a pinch, but which won't use the oven space efficiently.

Resources and recipes:

TdeV

TdeV

Now I have a total of 5 racks for my APO, 3 are a recommendation from @palo who said "They fit perfectly, smoothly slide in and out of the grooves and are rigid enough that there is no concern of them popping out of the grooves." Via Amazon, here for Canada and Australia, and here for the US. For the two racks which came with the APO whose rungs are too wide to support drying food, I got Silpats which have tiny holes in them; this was a recommendation by @JoNorvelleWalker, and do the job perfectly.

Resources and recipes: