• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, cteavin said:

Plug those same children into WWII where there's nothing to eat and those tastes will disappear quickly.

"Nothing to eat" is the crux.    I was a young child during WWII with strict rationing.    My mother sourced as well a she could but there were many foods I chose not to eat.   Mostly offal.   There were enough vegetables from the victory garden that our plates generally had several things on them, and meat is not a daily necessity.  Of course, if you were subject to starvation rations, like a friend who grew up in wartime Netherlands and whose family resorted to tulip bulbs, or a friend from Crete during Nazi occupation who said they lived off horta (wild greens) and snails, you would eat anything that kept you alive.l

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, cteavin said:

Plug those same children into WWII where there's nothing to eat and those tastes will disappear quickly.

"Nothing to eat" is the crux.    I was a young child during WWII with strict rationing.    My mother sourced as well a she could but there were many feeds I chose not to eat.   Mostly offal.   There were enough vegetables from the victory garden that our plates generally had several things on them, and meat is not a daily necessity.  Of course, if you were subject to starvation rations, like a friend who grew up in wartime Netherlands and whose family resorted to tulip bulbs, or a friend from Crete during Nazi occupation who said they lived off horta (wild grens) and snails, you would eat anything that kept you alive.l