• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Food trucks have evidently been around for a really long time...

image.png.15d6292017874d01143edbd4adb7d0f9.png

1691 – New Amsterdam (now known as New York City) begins regulating street vendors selling food from push carts.

https://mobile-cuisine.com/business/history-of-american-food-trucks/

I do remember at one short-lived job I had, the truck would come around for morning break (this was a job working at a lumber distributor) and the horn would blow at break time, lunch time, and end of shift; sorta like working with Fred Flintstone at the Slate Rock and Gravel Company. It was called the roach coach...sold coffee (plenty) along with anything else one could possibly want. And whaddya know...

1960’s – Roach coaches make their presence known to construction sites around the country.

Some great pics here.

weinoo

weinoo

1691 – New Amsterdam (now known as New York City) begins regulating street vendors selling food from push carts.

I do remember at one short-lived job I had, the truck would come around for morning break (this was a job working at a lumber distributor) and the horn would blow at break time, lunch time, and end of shift; sorta like working with Fred Flintstone at the Slate Rock and Gravel Company). It was called the roach coach...sold coffee (plenty) along with anything else one could possibly want. And whaddya know...

1960’s – Roach coaches make their presence known to construction sites around the country.

Some great pics here.

weinoo

weinoo

I do remember at one short-lived job I had, the truck would come around for morning break (this was a job working at a lumber distributor) and the horn would blow at break time, lunch time, and end of shift; sorta like working with Fred Flintstone at the Slate Rock and Gravel Company), lunch break, etc. It was called the roach coach...sold coffee (plenty) along with anything else one could possibly want. And whaddya know...

Some great pics here.