• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I use a wok spatula I've had for years, but almost every professional Chinese cooking video I've seen, they're using the ladle, so wondering what the major differences are apart from the obvious (that the ladle can hold liquid)

Yes, restaurant chefs and cooks more often use ladles (勺子 - sháo zi), but it's important to remember that home cooking and restaurant cooking are very different in many ways. Home cooks usually use wok spatulas / scoops (铲子 - chǎn zi) Never heard of a 'sled' in that meaning before!

I use both scoops and ladles, but I'm a show off. I have the 30 inch scoop and a similar size ladle, but they are just for fun / decoration. I've never  cooked with them at home. Only in a restaurant. Photos maybe tomorrow.

liuzhou

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

I use a wok spatula I've had for years, but almost every professional Chinese cooking video I've seen, they're using the ladle, so wondering what the major differences are apart from the obvious (that the ladle can hold liquid)

Yes, restaurant chefs and cooks more often use ladles (勺子 - sháo zi), but it's important to remember that home cooking and restaurant cooking are very different in many ways. Home cooks usually use wok spatulas / scoops (铲子 - chǎn zi) Never heard of a 'sled' in that meaning before!

I use both scoops and ladles, but I'm a show off. I I have the 30 inch scoop and a similar size ladle, but they are just for fun / decoration. I've never  cooked with them at home. Only in a restaurant. Photos maybe tomorrow.

liuzhou

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Yes, restaurant chef's and cooks more often use ladles (勺子 - sháo zi), but it's important to remember that home cooking and restaurant cooking are very different in many ways. Home cooks usually use wok spatulas / scoops (铲子 - chǎn zi) Never heard of a 'sled' in that meaning before!

I use both scoops and ladles, but I'm a show off. I I have the 30 inch scoop and a similar size ladle, but they are just for fun / decoration. I've never  cooked with them at home. Only in a restaurant. Photos maybe tomorrow.