• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 3/21/2021 at 4:31 PM, shain said:

Right, I never had an Indian curry with okra other than that I made myself. I did leave quite firm but not very crisp.

As for Chinese prep, I can also see it working well in hot pots, and also as a cold appetizer, maybe with fish-fragrant sauce, or a sesame based one. And also simply stir fried e.g. with garlic and soy sauce.

Okra (Hindi: भिंडी  - bhindi) is very common in curries. Bhindi Bhaji is on almost every menu in UK 'Indian' restaurants. Bhindi masala is also popular. Yes, okra is better still somewhat firm. 

I can't see okra working in hot pots, but the other methods you mention, yes.

I was just interested in posting my friend's method as it is the first I've seen it being cooked here - and it looked so good!

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, shain said:

Right, I never had an Indian curry with okra other than that I made myself. I did leave quite firm but not very crisp.

As for Chinese prep, I can also see it working well in hot pots, and also as a cold appetizer, maybe with fish-fragrant sauce, or a sesame based one. And also simply stir fried e.g. with garlic and soy sauce.

Okra (Hindi: भिंडी  - bhindi) is very common in curries. Bhindi Bhaji is on almost every menu in UK 'Indian' restaurants. Bhindi masala is also popilar. Yes, okra is better still somewhat firm. 

I can't see okra working in hot pots, but the other methods you mention, yes.

I was just interested in posting my friend's method as it is the first I've seen it being cooked here - and it looked so good!

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, shain said:

Okra (Bhindi in Hindi) is very common in curries. Yes, it is better still somewhat firm. 

I can't see okra in hot pots, but the other methods you mention, yes.