• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The treatment of the okra sounds great, especially the fact that they don't get trimmed until after they are cooked. My only hesitation about the garnish is that the garlic is basically raw, even after hot oil is poured over it. That's a bit much, for me at least.

I love okra. If cut into rings and dusted in cornmeal and fried it is terrific just tumbled atop sliced ripe tomatoes while hot. Also it is excellent cut in half lengthwise and roasted in the oven with just oil and salt or with a sprinkle of cajun spice or smoked paprika until just crispy. I think that was a Vivian Howard suggestion. I admit that I have never had it stewed, which doesn't sound so appealing .

The garnish is a classic round these parts - used with many dishes, especially fish. It isn't so raw as one might imagine. The ingredients are very finely diced, so the very hot oil does mostly cook things.

Yes, I usually prepare okra in the ways you mention - or at least similarly, but this one intrigued me - and I'm glad it did. The short boiling time doesn't result in any 'stewed' characteristics - not that I mind stewed okra.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

The treatment of the okra sounds great, especially the fact that they don't get trimmed until after they are cooked. My only hesitation about the garnish is that the garlic is basically raw, even after hot oil is poured over it. That's a bit much, for me at least.

I love okra. If cut into rings and dusted in cornmeal and fried it is terrific just tumbled atop sliced ripe tomatoes while hot. Also it is excellent cut in half lengthwise and roasted in the oven with just oil and salt or with a sprinkle of cajun spice or smoked paprika until just crispy. I think that was a Vivian Howard suggestion. I admit that I have never had it stewed, which doesn't sound so appealing .

The garnish is a classic round these parts - used with many dishes, especially fish. It isn't so raw as one might imagine. The ingredients are very finely diced, so the very hot oil does mostly cook things.

Yes, I usually prepare okra in the ways you mention - or at least similarly, but this one intrigued me - and I'm glad it did. The short boiling time doesn't result in any 'stewed' characteristics.