• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, they reminded me of your pikelets that I made! 

Drop scones and pikelets are the same thing. The name 'pikelet' is more common in Australia and New Zealand, although it comes from the Welsh.

1952 B. Nilson Penguin Cookery Bk. xviii. 332 Drop Scones, Pikelets‥or Scotch Pancakes. Cooking time 3–4 minutes each batch.

[ad. Welsh bara pyglyd ‘pitchy bread,’ perh. in reference to its colour.]

(See quot.)

1611 Cotgr., Popelins, soft cakes made of fine flower, kneaded with milke, etc.‥like our Welsh Barrapyclids.    1687 Holme Armorie iii. iii. 86 Barra Pickled, a light Bread made in round Cakes.    

1704 Dict. Rust. et Urb., Bara-picklet, is Bread made of fine Flower, and knead up with Barm. [So 1852 in Brande.]

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, they reminded me of your pikelets that I made! 

Drop scones and pikelets are the same thing. The name 'pikelet'is mor ecommon in Australia and New Zealand, although it comes from the Welsh

1952 B. Nilson Penguin Cookery Bk. xviii. 332 Drop Scones, Pikelets‥or Scotch Pancakes. Cooking time 3–4 minutes each batch.

[ad. Welsh bara pyglyd ‘pitchy bread,’ perh. in reference to its colour.]

(See quot.)

1611 Cotgr., Popelins, soft cakes made of fine flower, kneaded with milke, etc.‥like our Welsh Barrapyclids.    1687 Holme Armorie iii. iii. 86 Barra Pickled, a light Bread made in round Cakes.    

1704 Dict. Rust. et Urb., Bara-picklet, is Bread made of fine Flower, and knead up with Barm. [So 1852 in Brande.]