• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

alwaysdrawing

alwaysdrawing

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@alwaysdrawing

Great crust... but 1 minute a side seems long (to one who has never done it).  How much more did they cook past medium?

The internal temp was 130F after searing. 

Might have been 45 seconds per side—I didn’t use a timer. Worth noting that the steaks didn’t go straight from 120F sous vide to the grill—I dried them and waited about 30 minutes before finishing them. 

I didn’t take a cross section shot, but you can kinda see the interior doneness near the edge here:

B82649D3-5E91-4E04-8C98-C85F188D427C.thumb.png.d381e5f055009a0881366f9227deb0d8.png

alwaysdrawing

alwaysdrawing

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@alwaysdrawing

Great crust... but 1 minute a side seems long (to one who has never done it).  How much more did they cook past medium?

The internal temp was 130F after searing. 

Might have been 45 seconds per side—I didn’t use a timer. Worth noting that the steaks didn’t go straight from 120F sous vide to the grill—I dried them and waited about 30 minutes before finishing them.