• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Aww, life is short. Don't diss kohlrabi! Salted, paper thin slices of raw kohlrabi make a great cocktail go-with. I can see it as a wrapper for sushi, although I never would have thought of it. Pickled kohlrabi is excellent. It does need to be fresh and tender and juicy, and it isn't always like that. 

Imagine growing up in the culinary wasteland of rural Germany in an area that featured commercial harvest of exactly three vegetables: kale, sugar beets and kohlrabi. Imagine all the fun preparations that existed (hint: one - boil for a looong time). For kale I made my peace. For sirup from sugar beets I can cope. I learned also to tolerate pickled kohlrabi, but bringing me to branch out further is reaaally stretching it … 

Duvel

Duvel

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

Aww, life is short. Don't diss kohlrabi! Salted, paper thin slices of raw kohlrabi make a great cocktail go-with. I can see it as a wrapper for sushi, although I never would have thought of it. Pickled kohlrabi is excellent. It does need to be fresh and tender and juicy, and it isn't always like that. 

Imagine growing up in the culinary wasteland of rural Germany in an area that featured commercial harvest of exactly three vegetables: kale, sugar beets and kohlrabi. Imagine all the fun preparations that existed (hint: one - boil for a looong time). For kale I made my peace. For sirup from sugar beets I can cope. I can tolerate pickled kohlrabi, but bringing me to branch out further is reaaally stretching it …