• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Finally had dinner at a favorite restaurant last night, the one which had pivoted to being one of my main suppliers during the lockdown, Cervo's.  They have built an impressive structure out on Canal St., as they won't be opening indoors for a while (indoors is tiny). Canal St. between Essex and Orchard is barricaded to traffic most evenings (I think it's not barricaded on Mondays). We were seated in the inner outer portion, and even though I'm generally not happy to eat outside, this was fine. It's a constant fashion show too, which is kinda fun and annoying at the same time.

It's that time of year we call Manhattanhenge, so if people aren't crazy enough, this is just one more reason to be.

IMG_4268.thumb.jpeg.8733ab0b9ef77482bc6c4094f80c2be8.jpeg

The view from our table...

IMG_4269.thumb.jpeg.38e4b970b20fe33aac007cbe58a0e483.jpeg

That's the Jarmulowsky Bank Building (ca. 1912), which has been undergoing renovations for about forever. It's gorgeous, and allegedly going to be a hotel. We'll see.

IMG_4267.thumb.jpeg.b5a0318354474d7719bfc2f701c63ac4.jpeg

When you're eating Cervo's take on Spanish/Portuguese food, start with vermut, why not?

Cervo's produces delicious food - it's not photogenic, however.

IMG_4271.thumb.jpeg.af96b36eae0195473962bf4fb77adfbd.jpeg

Soft-shell crab, with asparagus in delicious saucy stuff. 

We also had stuffed piquillo peppers (with rice and clams), fried wild shrimp heads (the same shrimp I'd been buying over the preceding months), and split a lamb burger with fries. Good to be out for dinner.

weinoo

weinoo

Finally had dinner at a favorite restaurant last night, the one which had pivoted to being one of my main suppliers during the lockdown, Cervo's.  They have built an impressive structure out on Canal St., as they won't be opening indoors for a while (indoors is tiny). Canal St. between Essex and Orchard is barricaded to traffic most evenings (I think it's not barricaded on Mondays). We were seated in the inner outer portion, and even though I'm generally not happy to eat outside, this was fine. It's a constant fashion show too, which is kinda fun and annoying at the same time.

It's that time of year we call Manhattanheng, so if people aren't crazy enough, this is just one more reason to be.

That's the Jarmulowsky Bank Building (ca. 1912), which has been undergoing renovations for about forever. It's gorgeous, and allegedly going to be a hotel. We'll see.

When you're eating Cervo's take on Spanish/Portuguese food, start with vermut, why not?

We also had stuffed piquillo peppers (with rice and clams), fried wild shrimp heads (the same shrimp I'd been buying over the preceding months), and split a lamb burger with fries. Good to be out for dinner.

weinoo

weinoo

It's that time of year we call Manhattanheng, so if people aren't crazy enough, this is just one more reason to be.