• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

And when I start frying my chips in butter, shoot me again!

Here again we have different cultures, different solutions. Beef fat is totally unavailable. The only breed of cattle they have here is the type of Brahma that has no fat and no marbling. I don't deep fry because good cooking oil is so expensive and my only other choices are lard and palm oil which I refuse to use. So I'm left with the oven roasting or stir fry.

Come to think of it, I haven't had good fish and chips for over 30 years.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

And when I start frying my chips in butter, shoot me again!

Here again we have different cultures, different solutions. Beef fat is totally unavailable. The only breed of cattle they have here is the type of Brahma that has no fat and no marbling. I don't deep fry because good cooking oil is so expensive and my only other choices are lard and palm oil which I refuse to use. So I'm left with the oven roasting or stir fry.