• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I do store them - when they arrive (in perfect condition from Regalis), I put them in a sealable glass container loosely wrapped in a clean paper towel. 4 eggs can fit into the container with them, and in they go as well. I change the paper towel every day or so. The first day I usually make a pasta, the next day brouillade, the next day risotto, and the last day maybe under chicken skin some or something  like that. Mashed potatoes, perhaps?

Regalis says their truffles will last about a week, but are obviously at their best within a a few days of receiving them.  This last batch was 4 14 gram truffles, so they were easy enough to use equally.  They're also very clean, so after a wipe down with a paper towel or brush, I like to peel them and use the peelings and trimmings as I'm cooking the risotto or making the sauce for the pasta, and then shave the rest over at the end. I imagine they could actually be frozen or made into a good butter.

Regalis has a number of different truffle products; the only one I can  comment on is the butter, and at the price, it's pretty darn good.

Not for nothing, La Mère Brazier includes a recipe for what was allegedly her most famous dish:  Volaille Demi-Deuil, Chicken in Half Morning, making use of the exquisite black périgord truffle.  I notice that now the truffles from Regalis are frozen; I appear to have gotten in under the wire with the last batch of fresh ones.

Great, thanks weinoo.  I’ll have to try them.

I haven’t seen the recipe yet but I’m guessing her recipe is the later named « poulet en vessie, » right?  Can’t recall if I saw it first in Bocuse or Point (or maybe in one of the masterful twin biographies of poor Chef L’Oiseau?), but must do the dish at least once.  Maybe along with Chef Bocusés Soupe Giscard D’Estaing?  Go fund me campaign started!🙏

It’s a shame so few know just how tremendously important she was.  Started in last night.  Thanks again for jogging my memory.

With truffled thoughts .... I think this might be in The Perfectionist, but an Alexandre Dumaine recipe kept on by Bernard (I think).  Something Belle Aurore, a poultry en vapeur, truffled broth, something like that?

The winter truffle dinner (I think maybe more than one!) as given in Jean-Louis Palladin’s opulent and drippingly gorgeous book.

Sorry for the reverie.  You just got me geeked with the generosity on your plate and the sourcing, since I’ve never used them but was excited to come across them from your earlier post.  I agree with Keller's comment from TFL:  if you’re going to go with truffle, or foie, or caviar - don’t hold back, don’t serve meanly.

Inspired.  Reminded of a great lesson given to me by the owner of a boutique coffee shop in Chicago, when I was on my way but still pretty threadbare as a working actor. Great black beard, thinning black hair.  Very serious man, former Greek Orthodox monk.  Dithering over a coffee or espresso, he simply leaned in, broke a rare smile and said « always leave a little room for luxury Paul. »

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I do store them - when they arrive (in perfect condition from Regalis), I put them in a sealable glass container loosely wrapped in a clean paper towel. 4 eggs can fit into the container with them, and in they go as well. I change the paper towel every day or so. The first day I usually make a pasta, the next day brouillade, the next day risotto, and the last day maybe under chicken skin some or something  like that. Mashed potatoes, perhaps?

Regalis says their truffles will last about a week, but are obviously at their best within a a few days of receiving them.  This last batch was 4 14 gram truffles, so they were easy enough to use equally.  They're also very clean, so after a wipe down with a paper towel or brush, I like to peel them and use the peelings and trimmings as I'm cooking the risotto or making the sauce for the pasta, and then shave the rest over at the end. I imagine they could actually be frozen or made into a good butter.

Regalis has a number of different truffle products; the only one I can  comment on is the butter, and at the price, it's pretty darn good.

Not for nothing, La Mère Brazier includes a recipe for what was allegedly her most famous dish:  Volaille Demi-Deuil, Chicken in Half Morning, making use of the exquisite black périgord truffle.  I notice that now the truffles from Regalis are frozen; I appear to have gotten in under the wire with the last batch of fresh ones.

Great, thanks weinoo.  I’ll have to try them.

I haven’t seen the recipe yet but I’m guessing her recipe is the later named « poulet en vessie, » right?  Can’t recall if I saw it first in Bocuse or Point (or maybe in one of the masterful twin biographies of poor Chef L’Oiseau?), but must do the dish at least once.  Maybe along with Chef Bocusés Soupe Giscard D’Estaing?  Go fund me campaign started!🙏

Reeling with truffled thoughts .... I think this might be in The Perfectionist, but an Alexandre Dumaine recipe kept on by Bernard (I think).  Something Belle Aurore, a poultry en vapeur, truffled broth, something like that?

The winter truffle dinner (I think maybe more than one!) as given in Jean-Louis Palladin’s opulent and dropping my gorgeous book.

Sorry for the reverie.  You just got me geeked with the generosity on your plate and the sourcing, since I’ve never used them but was excited to come across them from your earlier post.  I agree with Keller's comment from TFL:  if you’re going to go with truffle, or foie, or caviar - don’t hold back, don’t serve meanly.

Inspired.  Reminded of a great lesson given to me by the owner of a boutique coffee shop in Chicago, when I was on my way but still pretty threadbare as a working actor. Great black beard, thinning black hair.  Very serious man, former Greek Orthodox monk.  Dithering over a coffee or espresso, he simply leaned in broke a rare smile and said « always leave a little room for luxury Paul. »