• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

This past Saturday, we went out for a passeggiata, usually a stroll taken before settling down for dinner. Only problem was I had no idea what I was making for dinner...and it was approaching the time where I really needed to start thinking about that. Didn't want to do much - some days are like that, no?

But we strolled by Cervo's, and I popped in for a peek and got inspired. They had nice looking clams and mussels, so I bought a dozen of each, and a Bien Cuit baguette, thinking I'd just steam the shellfish in some stuff and we could sop up the juices with the bread.

But I changed course when I got home. First...

1597688973_Clamsandmusselssteamed02-27.jpeg.11a142f48d6a86887a6953663c3e7c81.jpeg

Steamed open the shellfish in white wine and a bit of saffron, and took almost all of them out of their shells and strained the liquor. Decided to go a little fancier as there was a bit of marinara in the fridge.

795517660_Spaghettiwithshellfish02-27.jpeg.7d61efa1a63975ff610a99b5a3f74484.jpeg

Spaghetti with clams and mussels. Topped with Calabrian chilis. And garlic bread!  

Not bad for getting everything prepped and on the table in well under an hour.

weinoo

weinoo

This past Saturday, we went out for a passeggiata, usually a stroll taken before settling down for dinner. Only problem was I had no idea what I was making for dinner...and it was approaching the time where I really needed to start thinking about that. I didn't want to do much - some days are like that, no?

But we strolled by Cervo's, and I popped in for a peek and got inspired. They had nice looking clams and mussels, so I bought a dozen of each, and a Bien Cuit baguette, thinking I'd just steam the shellfish is some stuff and we could sop up the juices with the bread.

But I changed course when I got home. First...

1597688973_Clamsandmusselssteamed02-27.jpeg.11a142f48d6a86887a6953663c3e7c81.jpeg

Steamed open the shellfish in white wine and a bit of saffron, and took almost all of them out of their shells and strained the liquor. Decided to go a little fancier as there was a bit of marinara in the fridge.

795517660_Spaghettiwithshellfish02-27.jpeg.7d61efa1a63975ff610a99b5a3f74484.jpeg

Spaghetti with clams and mussels. Topped with Calabrian chilis. And garlic bread!  

Not bad for getting everything prepped and on the table in well under an hour.