• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I ordered my noodles the normal spicy, and the young woman behind the counter got a horrified look on her face and begged me to get it "medium".

I've only twice not been able to finish a dish because it was just TOO spicy. Once in Thailand and once in Hunan. Both times were far from tourist places or places foreigners might turn up, so they didn't think to warn me!

The restaurant in Hunan was very near my home and I returned many times, but never had that dish again!

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I ordered my noodles the normal spicy, and the young woman behind the counter got a horrified look on her face and begged me to get it "medium".

i've only twice not been able to finish a dish because it was just TOO spicy. Once in Thailand and once in Hunan. Both times were far from tourist places or places foreigners might turn up, so they didn't think to warn me!

The restaurant in Hunan was very near my home and I returned many times, but never had that dish again!