• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a Chocolate Business - How to Expand? (Australia Based)

Jonathan

Hi guys, I've started a small chocolate business and have swiftly found the constraints of a home kitchen quite limiting. I also don't quite have the confidence in my work to drop my day job for this yet. Does anyone based in Australia have any advised on how to expand on a small scale? Ideally a rental kitchen would be a good starting point but as I work full time during the week it would ideally only be for 2-3 days/week which is a little awkward.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:19 AM, Jonathan said:

Hi guys, I've started a small chocolate business and have swiftly found the constraints of a home kitchen quite limiting. I also don't quite have the confidence in my work to drop my day job for this yet. Does anyone based in Australia have any advised on how to expand on a small scale? Ideally a rental kitchen would be a good starting point but as I work full time during the week it would ideally only be for 2-3 days/week which is a little awkward.

I'm in the same boat as you, my apartment seems to be shrinking as my chocolate production is getting bigger. Not sure what to do just yet. I hope you'll get some insightful replies.

9 hours ago, Muscadelle said:

I'm in the same boat as you, my apartment seems to be shrinking as my chocolate production is getting bigger. Not sure what to do just yet. I hope you'll get some insightful replies.

My kingdom for a walk in fridge.

when I was starting up (I'm not anywhere near running a small business), renting kitchen space to prepare in was cost prohibitive compared to registering my own kitchen as a food safe area. My council also required me to register my kitchen regardless if I was making product there or not if I was storing the product in my house, so it was just register the kitchen in the end, because storing the product elsewhere was also cost prohibitive!

Hi Chris, I’ve got all the accreditation and approvals done for home kitchen zoning but the main issue is ine of storage space, in winter I’d be ok but I’m nearing capacity in summer in the wine fridge I bought for storage

17 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Hi Chris, I’ve got all the accreditation and approvals done for home kitchen zoning but the main issue is ine of storage space, in winter I’d be ok but I’m nearing capacity in summer in the wine fridge I bought for storage

There is an item called a Coolbot. It controls an air conditioner to make a closet into a coolroom. Homemade walk-in