• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 1/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, curls said:

Beautiful! Love the combination of citrus and the Weck jar.

I love the Weck jar, too, but it's really not the best sort of jar for this purpose and I ended up repacking the fruit into 3 ~ quart-sized jars:

IMG_3539.thumb.jpeg.8d1fc6e6a5be93e165edb3d41a8bb7ba.jpeg

Vivian suggests turning the jars upside down for a while every now and then.  My usually routine is to flip them over every few hours the first day or so, then once a day for the first week and occasionally after that. 

Since there is usually a bit of fermentation going on in the beginning and this is more pronounced with sweeter fruits like oranges in the mix, I generally loosen the lids to "burp" them before flipping them over.   That Weck jar just didn't hold a seal when it was upside down, sitting on the clips with slightly increased pressure inside. 

I do believe everyone is doing fine now.  I'm hoping to find some kumquats to add to the jars before too long. They're little so they should catch up with the other fruits easily. 

On 1/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, curls said:

The butternut squash from my Misfits Market box became but-a-nut soup. Great recipe, I'll definitely make this one again. My husband preferred the soup without Vivian Howard's suggested garnish (which included spiced pecans, leeks, and apples). I loved the soup and loved it even more with the suggested garnish. The soup reheats well and we were able to make a few meals from it.

I agree with @curls that the garnish is what makes the But-A-Nut soup special.  It's in the V's Nuts chapter so those chopped, spiced pecans play a role, but only a supporting one, I think.  The garnish starts out by cooking sliced leeks in butter until it browns, then adding apple cider vinegar and maple syrup which turns them into a sweet, buttery, lightly pickled thing.  That gets mixed with sliced fresh apple, chopped sage leaves and the nuts to become the garnish so you've got tons of different flavors and textures in the mix.  Really good. 

IMG_3541.thumb.jpeg.599e5a97dc351ec5ea993801730f835a.jpeg

I used a red kuri squash because it's what I had on hand.  I'm sure any winter squash would work. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 1/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, curls said:

Beautiful! Love the combination of citrus and the Weck jar.

I love the Weck jar, too, but it's really not the best sort of jar for this purpose and I ended up repacking the fruit into 3 ~ quart-sized jars:

IMG_3539.thumb.jpeg.8d1fc6e6a5be93e165edb3d41a8bb7ba.jpeg

Vivian suggests turning the jars upside down for a while every now and then.  My usually routine is to flip them over every few hours the first day or so, then once a day for the first week and occasionally after that. 

Since there is usually a bit of fermentation going on in the beginning and this is more pronounced with sweeter fruits like oranges in the mix, I generally loosen the lids to "burp" them before flipping them over.   That Weck jar just didn't hold a seal when it was upside down, sitting on the clips with slightly increased pressure inside. 

I do believe everyone is doing fine now.  I'm hoping to find some kumquats to add to the jars before too long. They're little so they should catch up with the other fruits easily. 

On 1/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, curls said:

The butternut squash from my Misfits Market box became but-a-nut soup. Great recipe, I'll definitely make this one again. My husband preferred the soup without Vivian Howard's suggested garnish (which included spiced pecans, leeks, and apples). I loved the soup and loved it even more with the suggested garnish. The soup reheats well and we were able to make a few meals from it.

I agree with @curls that the garnish is what makes the But-A-Nut soup special.  It's in the V's Nuts chapter so those chopped, spiced pecans play a role, but only a supporting one, I think.  The garnish starts out by cooking sliced leeks in butter until it browns, then adding apple cider vinegar and maple syrup which turns them into a sweet, buttery, lightly pickled thing.  That gets mixed with sliced fresh apple and the nuts to become the garnish so you've got tons of different flavors and textures in the mix.  Really good. 

IMG_3541.thumb.jpeg.599e5a97dc351ec5ea993801730f835a.jpeg

I used a red kuri squash because it's what I had on hand.  I'm sure any winter squash would work.