• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

I have wondered about doing them in the IP on the slow cook function, as I ditched the crockpot when I got the IP.

I did get around to the kraut:

kraut.thumb.jpg.d4fdc6de91d8878063ddea92d0755b5f.jpg

Little Green Dress:

LGD.thumb.jpg.6a5ffb67f9dde8779a75e310dc1b9b2a.jpg

I've made a LOT of kraut in my life. I never made it with cucumbers in it. Makes sense, though; I've fermented pickles, and that's the same thing, and the cucumber brings some more water to the brine. I still made extra brine, just to avoid the issue I had this summer, when I don't think I had enough brine. Plus, grocery store cabbage is drier than just picked cabbage.

The LGD makes me sad -- sad this book came out at a time my herbs are about to be done.  I have some whipped ricotta cheese spread blended with it in the fridge as we speak. That's pretty awesome. 

One periodically comes across a cookbook that one recipe is worth the cost of the book. Mark Bittmann's How To Cook Everything was worth it for the pizza dough recipe and the technique on fried rice. This one is worth it for LGD. But there is so much more! 

kayb

kayb

I have wondered about doing them in the IP on the slow cook function, as I ditched the crockpot when I got the IP.