• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Eatmywords

Eatmywords

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I keep buttermilk powder on hand for just these emergencies. Though I usually have kefir, or even plain yogurt, which I find to be acceptable subs.

I've never worked with it but if it's anything like powdered creamer vs half n half  i'm making that spl trip for the real thing.  How does it compare? 

25 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just stick some lemon juice or white wine vinegar in regular milk. Wait 5 minutes. Buttermilk (as near as damn it).

Wonder how the chemistry w go if you combined w the dressing ingredients all at once?  I'm guessing not good.  Curdle city?  I don't know these things because my wife skeeves much dairy.  Witnessing this concoction would turn her greener than the goddess dressing. 

Eatmywords

Eatmywords

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I keep buttermilk powder on hand for just these emergencies. Though I usually have kefir, or even plain yogurt, which I find to be acceptable subs.

I've never worked with it but if it's anything like powdered creamer vs half n half  i'm making that spl trip for the real thing.  How does it compare? 

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just stick some lemon juice or white wine vinegar in regular milk. Wait 5 minutes. Buttermilk (as near as damn it).

Wonder how the chemistry w go if you combined w the dressing ingredients all at once?  I'm guessing not good....curdle city?  I don't know these things because my wife skeeves much dairy.  Witnessing this concoction would turn greener than the goddess dressing.