• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm kind of curious about this, so I'm going to ask for clarification. Is it your current microwave that you're specifically attached to, or the general notion of an over-range microwave?

I've always considered an over-the-range microwave to be the sort of thing one does from stark necessity, when there's no other practical place to have one. If there are specific advantages to such an arrangement I'd be curious to hear them.

MWO is NOT part of the stove, but is built into the cabinetry over the stove. It has one of those next-to-useless hood vents that sucks air through an alleged filter and blows it back out into the room. I cannot tell it does any good at all. I put a fan in my window over the sink, opposite the stove, and set it so it sucks air out of the room when I'm cooking something smelly. It's less that optimal.

I have seen vents built into the wall behind the stove. That's what I'm looking toward. I'd like the microwave to stay where it is, for convenience's sake. It doesn't block anything on the stove, and I'm loath to give up counter space to house one. It doesn't get used a lot -- to boil water, to melt butter, to warm up the grandchild's frozen pancakes and chicken nuggets, and to make peanut brittle. That's about it.

ETA: And I see I misread your query. I do specifically like this microwave, but I also am attached to having it over the stove (note above).

kayb

kayb

50 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm kind of curious about this, so I'm going to ask for clarification. Is it your current microwave that you're specifically attached to, or the general notion of an over-range microwave?

I've always considered an over-the-range microwave to be the sort of thing one does from stark necessity, when there's no other practical place to have one. If there are specific advantages to such an arrangement I'd be curious to hear them.

MWO is NOT part of the stove, but is built into the cabinetry over the stove. It has one of those next-to-useless hood vents that sucks air through an alleged filter and blows it back out into the room. I cannot tell it does any good at all. I put a fan in my window over the sink, opposite the stove, and set it so it sucks air out of the room when I'm cooking something smelly. It's less that optimal.

I have seen vents built into the wall behind the stove. That's what I'm looking toward. I'd like the microwave to stay where it is, for convenience's sake. It doesn't block anything on the stove, and I'm loath to give up counter space to house one. It doesn't get used a lot -- to boil water, to melt butter, to warm up the grandchild's frozen pancakes and chicken nuggets, and to make peanut brittle. That's about it.