• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 hours ago, kayb said:

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

In my last place, I had an over the range microwave with ducted exhaust that was vented up through the second story roof.  It actually worked pretty well.  If I opened the window in the adjacent dining room, and used the highest fan speed, it really sucked the fresh air in and pulled any smoke/cooking up and out. 

Edited to add that my range at the time was a standard household gas range, no super high powered burners.  If you've got high powered burners then a 600CFM fan (which is about the max you can get in an over the range MW), isn't really going to be enough. 

I'm in sort of the same situation now. My current thinking is that if I go through the expense of running the ducting then I should get a proper hood and relocate the MW.  I don't use it all that often but that location is very handy.  In my case, venting would be an easy straight up situation and the blueprints tell me there was an exhaust fan there at one time so it should be doable.  All moot at the moment...no mun, no fun 🙃 though when the MW dies, I'll probably be forced to find some!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 hours ago, kayb said:

3. I've GOT to have a better vent/hood system. Don't want to give up my over-the-stove microwave, so I'm wondering about the feasibility of mounting a vent in the wall behind the stove (which is an interior wall) and venting up between the studs to a roof exhaust.

In my last place, I had an over the range microwave with ducted exhaust that was vented up through the second story roof.  It actually worked pretty well.  If I opened the window in the adjacent dining room, and used the highest fan speed, it really sucked the fresh air in and pulled any smoke/cooking up and out. 

I'm in sort of the same situation now. My current thinking is that if I go through the expense of running the ducting then I should get a proper hood and relocate the MW.  I don't use it all that often but that location is very handy.  In my case, venting would be an easy straight up situation and the blueprints tell me there was an exhaust fan there at one time so it should be doable.  All moot at the moment...no mun, no fun 🙃 though when the MW dies, I'll probably be forced to find some!