• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I confess that I did not know that "stain" was the same as "dirty".  As I write this, I can see the cognitive dissonance.  But I think of a "stain" as a kind of a cosmetic thing.  So, in other words, the stains on an otherwise washed tea towel would not trouble me.  Not even a little bit.

You know, my home might be a bona fide biohazard.  

And the cutting board thing . . . I'm just gonna take the Fifth on that.  I have a lot of confidence in bleach.  I use more of it than any single one of my peers.  So . . . .

I throw out tea towels when they get hole-y, not when they are stained. 

But I don't actually throw them out.  Rather, I demote them to rags.  I live in a rag home, not so much a sponge home.    The non-oil rags are washed with each use; this is how I grew up.  I think of sponges as like a marketing gimmick, I think it's a holdover from my depression-era parents.  When I first moved out, I switched to sponges.  And then I was like, nah . . . . 

I think this article is really weird, to tell the truth.  Downright weird.  

[EDITED TO ADD:  I use dishtowels to wash dishes.  They don't get washed each use if the humidity has permitted them to genuinely dry; but there are a lot of them and they get washed frequently.  I realized on reflection, what we're talking about here is using sponges for DISHES.  I use dishtowels for dishes, and rags for other cleaning.].

SLB

SLB

I confess that I did not know that "stain" was the same as "dirty".  As I write this, I can see the cognitive dissonance.  But I think of a "stain" as a kind of a cosmetic thing.  So, in other words, the stains on an otherwise washed tea towel would not trouble me.  Not even a little bit.

You know, my home might be a bona fide biohazard.  

And the cutting board thing . . . I'm just gonna take the Fifth on that.  I have a lot of confidence in bleach.  I use more of it than any single one of my peers.  So . . . .

I throw out tea towels when they get hole-y, not when they are stained. 

But I don't actually throw them out.  Rather, I demote them to rags.  I live in a rag home, not so much a sponge home.  The non-oil rags are washed with each use; this is how I grew up.  I think of sponges as like a marketing gimmick, I think it's a holdover from my depression-era parents.  When I first moved out, I switched to sponges.  And then I was like, nah . . . . 

I think this article is really weird, to tell the truth.  Downright weird.