• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

17 hours ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Thanks, @curls!  I've seen this done and am wondering what the benefit would be of filling the acetate sheet with chocolate beforehand vs pouring chocolate onto the mold directly then laying down the acetate sheet and scraping. It seems like the former would be a lot messier! And an extra few steps.

Useful when you don't have a solid filling to support pouring chocolate on top.  Or in the Amado example, chocolate could run through the gaps in the lacy shell.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

8 minutes ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Thanks, @curls!  I've seen this done and am wondering what the benefit would be of filling the acetate sheet with chocolate beforehand vs pouring chocolate onto the mold directly then laying down the acetate sheet and scraping. It seems like the former would be a lot messier! And an extra few steps.

Useful when you don't have a solid filling to support pouring chocolate on top.  Or in the Amado example, chocolate culd run through the gaps in the lacy shell.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

5 minutes ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Useful when you don't have a solid filling to support pouring chocolate on top.