• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patti

patti

3 hours ago, kayb said:

@patti, it may have been thin, but it looks fabulous. Got a recipe you care to share?

My method:

I sautéed one small diced onion, half a diced red bell pepper, and four minced garlic cloves in olive oil. I usually add kosher salt and black pepper to the veg while they sauté. 

Once softened, I added a 32 oz container of seafood stock and brought it to a boil. (When I have shrimp heads and shells, I make my own stock. I didn’t.)

Spooned about five or six  tablespoons of dark roux into the stock and let that simmer for 20 or 30 minutes. Thought it looked too thick (mistake!) and added some homemade chicken stock I had in the fridge. 

Hard boiled eggs are optional, but traditional in some parts of south Louisiana. It’s good! Potatoes are also optional. I didn’t use any last night, but added some today when I was reheating to thicken.* 

If you’re including potatoes, add them when you add the hard boiled eggs. I had some small red potatoes that I quartered. Simmer till potatoes are tender. 

Time for the shrimp. I had a pound and a quarter of wild caught Gulf shrimp, cleaned and deveined. I seasoned them with Tony Chachere’s and added to the stew. Three to five minutes later, it’s done. Taste for seasoning and then ladle over rice. 

*I removed all the shrimp from the stew when I was working on it today. I didn’t want them to be overdone. Once I was satisfied, I added them back in and turned off the fire, letting the heat from the stew bring them up to temp. 

patti

patti

3 hours ago, kayb said:

@patti, it may have been thin, but it looks fabulous. Got a recipe you care to share?

My method:

I sautéed one small diced onion, half a diced red bell pepper, and four minced garlic cloves in olive oil. I usually add kosher salt and black pepper to the veg while they sauté. 

Once softened, I added a 32 oz container of seafood stock and brought it to a boil. (When I have shrimp heads and shells, I make my own stock. I didn’t.)

Spooned about five or six  tablespoons of dark roux into the stock and let that simmer for 20 or 30 minutes. Thought it looked too thick (mistake!) and added some homemade chicken stock I had in the fridge. 

Hard boiled eggs are optional, but traditional in some parts of south Louisiana. It’s good! Potatoes are also optional. I didn’t use any last night, but added some today when I was reheating to thicken.* 

If you’re including potatoes, add them when you add the hard boiled eggs. I had some small red potatoes that I quartered. Simmer till potatoes are tender. 

Time for the shrimp. I had a pound and a quarter of wild caught Gulf shrimp, cleaned and deveined. I seasoned them with Tony Chachere’s and added to the stew. Three to five minutes later, it’s done. Taste for seasoning and then ladle over rice.