• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

After you get settled, could you please give us a little more direction on making "grandfather's soup"?      Looks divine...

Hi @Margaret. I can do now, this is very, very easy to make. Start with a clove of garlic and some extra virgin oil, then add some very good quality peeled tomatoes in can (crush them by hand or using a moulinex food mill if you prefer no seeds), add at least a couple cans full of water, It needs to be soupy, not a tomato sauce and cook on medium high. After about 10-15 minutes add any fish that will be good for soup (my father  often use monkfish when cooking in the north of Italy,  but in my hometown red scorpion fish or gurnard would be the preferred  option), here I used a snapper head and my father would  then add langoustines. Adjust salt and cook a little longer until with and langoustines are cooked. On the side I cook some tubetti pasta, De Cecco. Only shape, I thought I could go with broken spaghetti but apparently no 😒. We cook in the same way the soup with mussels: ditalini (=tubetti) con le cozze alla tarantina. A picture from the web here. Edit to add:  in my soup I also used some baby octopuses (which I sauté with the oil and garlic, my husband loved it, the kids didn’t like the flavor of it in the soup). 

Franci

Franci

After you get settled, could you please give us a little more direction on making "grandfather's soup"?      Looks divine...

Hi @Margaret. I can do now, this is very, very easy to make. Start with a clove of garlic and some extra virgin oil, then add some very good quality peeled tomatoes in can (crush them by hand or using a moulinex food mill if you prefer no seeds), add at least a couple cans full of water, It needs to be soupy, not a tomato sauce and cook on medium high. After about 10-15 minutes add any fish that will be good for soup (my father  often use monkfish when cooking in the north of Italy,  but in my hometown red scorpion fish or gurnard would be the preferred  option), here I used a snapper head and my father would  then add langoustines. Adjust salt. On the side I cook some tubetti pasta, De Cecco. Only shape, I thought I could go with broken spaghetti but apparently no 😒. We cook in the same way the soup with mussels: ditalini (=tubetti) con le cozze alla tarantina. A picture from the web here. Edit to add:  in my soup I also used some baby octopuses (which I sauté with the oil and garlic, my husband loved it, the kids didn’t like the flavor of it in the soup). 

Franci

Franci

Hi @Margaret. I can do now, this is very, very easy to make. Start with a clove of garlic and some extra virgin oil, then add some very good quality peeled tomatoes in can (crush them by hand or using a moulinex food mill if you prefer no seeds), add at least a couple cans full of water, It needs to be soupy, not a tomato sauce and cook on medium high. After about 10-15 minutes add any fish that will be good for soup (my father  often use monkfish when cooking in the north of Italy,  but in my hometown red scorpion fish or gurnard would be the preferred  option), here I used a snapper head and my father would  then add langoustines. Adjust salt. On the side I cook some tubetti pasta, De Cecco. Only shape, I thought I could go with broken spaghetti but apparently no 😒. We cook in the same way the soup with mussels: ditalini (=tubetti) con le cozze alla tarantina. A picture from the web here

Franci

Franci

Hi @Margaret. I can do now, this is very, very easy to make. Start with a garlic and some extra virgin oil, then add some very good quality peeled tomatoes in can (crush them by hand or using a moulinex food mill if you prefer no seeds), add at least a couple cans full of water, It needs to be soupy, not a tomato sauce and cook on medium high. After about 10-15 minutes add any fish that will be good for soup (my father  often use monkfish when cooking in the north of Italy,  but in my hometown red scorpion fish or gurnard would be the preferred  option), here I used a snapper head and my father would  then add langoustines. Adjust salt. On the side I cook some tubetti pasta, De Cecco. Only shape, I thought I could go with broken spaghetti but apparently no 😒. We cook in the same way the soup with mussels: ditalini (=tubetti) con le cozze alla tarantina. A picture from the web here