• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious however as to the reasoning behind placing the sauce on top of cooked pasta vs. not cooking the pasta in the sauce a bit (which is surely the Italian way to do things!)

In reality I had to think about this for a second. Not all Italians cook pasta in the sauce. If it’s quick cooking sauce, with vegetable, shellfish, or even cherry tomatoes for which I’d use a sauté pan,  I will sauté the pasta al dente with the sauce. But if it’s a simmering sauce that I cooked in  a pot I will not cook the pasta in the sauce. You will never see anybody sautéing tagliatelle in bolognese sauce 😮 Sometimes pasta get mixed with the sauce if I decide to serve at the table for the whole family in a big pasta bowl and portion at the table (with extra sauce handy for people who like more sauce) but if I hand out single portion, the sauce is going to go in the middle.  BTW, my chinese husband saying that also for him is normal the idea to have the sauce on top. 

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Oops on the dental issue - hope no pain.  All looks good. Wondering the crab with the black shell edge - is that what we know as Florida stone crab? It was my pregnancy crave food. 

No pain but very annoying...The crab is Scottish rock crab the Florida crab is more orange. I guess the husband went cheap 😁

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious however as to the reasoning behind placing the sauce on top of cooked pasta vs. not cooking the pasta in the sauce a bit (which is surely the Italian way to do things!)

In reality I had to think about this for a second. Not all Italians cook pasta in the sauce. If it’s quick cooking sauce, with vegetable, shellfish, or even cherry tomatoes for which I’d use a sauté pan,  I will sauté the pasta al dente with the sauce. But if it’s a simmering sauce that I cooked in  a pot I will not cook the pasta in the sauce. You will never see anybody sautéing tagliatelle in bolognese sauce 😮 Sometimes pasta get mixed with the sauce if I decide to serve at the table for the whole family in a big pasta bowl and portion at the table (with extra sauce handy for people who like more sauce) but if I hand out single portion, the sauce is going to go in the middle.  BTW, my chinese husband saying that also for him is normal the idea to have the sauce on top. 

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Oops on the dental issue - hope no pain.  All looks good. Wondering the crab with the black shell edge - is that what we know as Florida stone crab? It was my pregnancy crave food. 

No pain but very annoying...The crab is Scottish rock crab the Florida crab are more orange. I guess the husband went cheap 😁