• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Charlie suggested dinner again. This time he asked for ribs in the smoker. I left the ribs in about an hour longer than I planned to and they were falling off the bone when I cut them.  A while back,  @Ann_T mentioned using rye flour for sourdough starter so I tried it. I put a cup of rye and cup of water in a stoneware jar and let it set about 4 days before it started to bubble.  When it did I fed it again and the next day it was a very active starter; so I made my usual sourdough french bread with it  and it turned out very well.  The potato salad and coleslaw came from a deli.  The butter is Irish Whiskey butter that I forgot to put on the table for St. Patrick's.

0-1.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

0.jpeg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

Charlie suggested dinner again. This time he asked for ribs in the smoker. I left the ribs in about an hour longer than I planned to and they were falling off the bone when I cut them.  A while back,  @Ann_T mentioned using rye flour for sourdough starter so I tried it. I put a cup of rye and cup of water in a stoneware jar and let it set about 4 days before it started to bubble.  When it did I fed it again and the next day it was a very active starter; so I made my usual sourdough french bread with it  and it turned out very well.  The potato salad and coleslaw came from a deli.

0-1.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

0.jpeg