• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

Self edit 

BKEats

BKEats

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

but lacked that 'rawef taste.  Both steaks looked very similar. Just say'n.😁

BKEats

BKEats

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Where's the 'money' shot of the cut open meat??

I used to think the same way as you.....why be bothered with the bath...cook the damn thing as you do.  And I would agree that for a thinner steak a quick sear is all it needs if it is a quality piece of meat.  The other day I had a 1 lb 10 oz bone in rib bisteka very similar looking to the one you have here.  I decided to sous vide it for 2 hours at 121F and then sear it for a crust.  I have done such a thick steak as you did above before.  Comparing the two I have to say I much prefer the meat texture of the sous vide steak...it was a little more tender but lacked that 'raw' beef taste.  Both steaks looked very similar. Just say'n.😁

I mean, there's a lot of chirping about how good this steak is, yet, I don't see a center shot..🤣  Also, I hate sous vide, but, I still agree about the shot. 

BKEats

BKEats

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Where's the 'money' shot of the cut open meat??

I used to think the same way as you.....why be bothered with the bath...cook the damn thing as you do.  And I would agree that for a thinner steak a quick sear is all it needs if it is a quality piece of meat.  The other day I had a 1 lb 10 oz bone in rib bisteka very similar looking to the one you have here.  I decided to sous vide it for 2 hours at 121F and then sear it for a crust.  I have done such a thick steak as you did above before.  Comparing the two I have to say I much prefer the meat texture of the sous vide steak...it was a little more tender but lacked that 'raw' beef taste.  Both steaks looked very similar. Just say'n.😁

I mean, there's a lot of chirping about how good this steak is, yet, I don't see a center shot..🤣