• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@TicTac – thank you for posting that lovely sandwich.  Very inspiring.  I’ve got a little bit of Cambozola in the fridge and some lovely tomatoes.  I think that will be lunch tomorrow.

@BonVivant – are the sous vide yolks used as a spread under your shrimp?  I really think that I need to do this.  I’m thinking as a spread on a BLT. 

@Raamo– do you know which of Mary Berry’s cookbooks that tart recipe came from?  I’d really love to try that.    

Yesterday we were out running errands, so we got a late lunch/early dinner car meal at Pa’s Dogs & Ma’s Burgers – a tiny little joint with a six seat counter and outdoor seating.  We aren’t eating inside places yet and it was 80F+, so we ate in the car.  I got the Slim Jim:

IMG_3217.jpg.62a2b77af20ecfac42567d9a33dc359e.jpg

Ham, Swiss, lettuce, and special sauce.  I hadn’t had one in years.  As a kid in Northern VA, I used to get them at Hot Shoppes and Bob’s Big Boy.  I didn’t know anyone made them anymore.  Mr. Kim got the chili-cheese burger:

IMG_3218.jpg.5257e77c6c644aab7730f040b9728408.jpg

We shared some fries:

IMG_3219.jpg.cff1ef6c08bac0f43e6f0d6012da5553.jpg

They even threw in a whoopie pie:

IMG_3229.jpg.040484509de17448b8eb47d617c16a3f.jpg

Which was really nice of them.  Except I detest whoopie pie filling (love the cakes) – it leaves a film on the tongue and is just sweet without much in the way of flavor and I hate when it gets hard.  I much prefer something creamy or marshmallow-y. 

For some reason, I can't find a thread on produce stands, so I'll post our haul from yesterday here - 

IMG_3223.jpg.f2f85a175f7c397742fd5f26eff959d0.jpg

This was our first visit to this stand.  We also got dry scallops and NC shrimp.  They have Rappahannock oysters, too.  Hoping they are still open and have the oysters in October so that I can get some to freeze for Thanksgiving stuffing.  We were really pleased with our first visit.  They had a great assortment of produce and baked goods. They were really friendly and helpful.  And everyone was masked.  Unlike the last stand we were going to. 

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@TicTac – thank you for posting that lovely sandwich.  Very inspiring.  I’ve got a little bit of Cambozola in the fridge and some lovely tomatoes.  I think that will be lunch tomorrow.

@BonVivant – are the sous vide yolks used as a spread under your shrimp?  I really think that I need to do this.  I’m thinking as a spread on a BLT. 

@Raamo– do you know which of Mary Berry’s cookbooks that tart recipe came from?  I’d really love to try that.    

Yesterday we were out running errands, so we got a late lunch/early dinner car meal at Pa’s Dogs & Ma’s Burgers – a tiny little joint with a six seat counter and outdoor seating.  We aren’t eating inside places yet and it was 80F+, so we ate in the car.  I got the Slim Jim:

IMG_3217.jpg.62a2b77af20ecfac42567d9a33dc359e.jpg

Ham, Swiss, lettuce, and special sauce.  I hadn’t had one in years.  As a kid in Northern VA, I used to get them at Hot Shoppes and Bob’s Big Boy.  I didn’t know anyone made them anymore.  Mr. Kim got the chili-cheese burger:

IMG_3218.jpg.5257e77c6c644aab7730f040b9728408.jpg

We shared some fries:

IMG_3219.jpg.cff1ef6c08bac0f43e6f0d6012da5553.jpg

They even threw in a whoopie pie:

IMG_3229.jpg.040484509de17448b8eb47d617c16a3f.jpg

Which was really nice of them.  Except I detest whoopie pie filling (love the cakes) – it leaves a film on the tongue and is just sweet without much in the way of flavor and I hate when it gets hard.  I much prefer something creamy or marshmallow-y.