• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

FB44370A-49AC-46E9-B1BE-BBB2A3134087_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3ecfa3a662ccd25b38fc54875fc648c5.jpeg

Editing to share an Irish coffee anecdote.  On September 11, 1901, Catherine O'Connor, age 17, who would become my grandmother, arrived from Ireland at Ellis Island, NY. Seventy five years later, in 1976, she returned for the first time on a family vacation and was introduced to Irish coffee as a great way to warm up a damp afternoon. While on that trip, my cousin asked her if they had Irish coffee before she emigrated. Her response, "Oh sure child, if we had this back then, I never would have left!" 

Should you decide to share the blessing on that mug, make sure to pronounce the name of the evil one in the way my grandmother did.  It's the Divil, don't you know!