• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rock shrimp

jaybee

I bought a pound of these delicious little morsels tonight and sauteed them in olive in and garlic, seasoned with cayenne pepper. Very tasty. "Popcorn shrimp" are made from these as well. What other ways can they be cooked and used? And by the way, are they just a very small shrimp (funny redundancy) or something else?

I don't know what the difference is -- except that they're usually sold shelled and cheaper than classical shrimp (I have trouble finding jazz shrimp or bubble-gum-pop shrimp). They taste pretty good to me.

They're a different species or subspecies or something (sorry; it's been a long time since biology class). Apparently they have a really hard shell (hence the "rock" part of "rock shrimp), which is why you always see them already shelled in markets. In taste, they're a little richer, more like lobster, and the flesh is firmer than white shrimp. They've always reminded me of tiny langoustines.

Cooked and coarsely chopped, they're a good addition to crab cakes or hot crab dip. They're good in quesadillas too.

I bought a pound of these delicious little morsels tonight and sauteed them in olive in and garlic, seasoned with cayenne pepper.  Very tasty.  "Popcorn shrimp" are made from these as well.  What other ways can they be cooked and used?  And by the way, are they just a very small shrimp (funny redundancy) or something else?

Jaybee - he is a link to an old thread discussing Rock shrimp. Has some snappy banter between the Rodent botherer and myself too. :biggrin:

Ye Olde Rock Shrimpe Thread

Nothing too fancy but a good breakfast reminiscent of that served on the Union Pacific RR back when I traveled cross country with my parents both of whom refused to fly.

Saute in butter with a bit of garlic. Add eggs beaten with cream added. Scramble till done.

They also work quite nicely for low country breakfast of shrimp and grits.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My understanding is that rock shrimp have now become widely available since the invention of a commercial "shelling machine". Even if one could find them shell-on I doubt that it could be removed in the kitchen (let alone the dining room!) I love to make potstickers with them.With the extra thin dumpling skins from Chinatown making the potstickers is quick and easy. In my view the rock shrimp can be used in any recipe that calls for small shrimp. :wub:

Ruth Friedman

What other ways can they be cooked and used?

We dined on a truly amazing Rock Shrimp Tempura with spicy kochujan aioli at MORIMOTO. I'd try to make that!

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant