Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nickos

Class Ksenia Penkina

Recommended Posts

$147 for a single video class sounds like a heck of a lot to me

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's too expensive.

Besides that, from what I saw she is a master in glazing techniques, not much on the rest. All those effects gives many side troubles during production: it takes much more time; you need to solve the problem of the excess glazes flowing down the cake, all the colors mix up and you can't be sure you will be able to re-use them for the cakes you are producing.

 

 

 

Teo

 


Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nickos perhaps you may be interested in the online courses at Savour... a number of people here have taken these online classes and spoken well of them --> http://www.savourschool.com.au/online-classes.aspx

What in particular do you want to learn from Ksenia Penkina? Perhaps if we know that, people can provide a better answer to your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Teo.....I like her work but her classes are way too expensive.....the glazing looks nice on your Instagram feed and it is fun to do but for a real life shop the applications are limited...lots of extra work and also the glaze ingredients are not cheap per cake (something nobody ever mentions....).

Nowadays you can find plenty of useful information about this glazing technique with just a little bit of research....internet, sogood magazine, dulcypas magazine (Spanish, but even has a glazing article by Penkina), and the above mentioned Savour classes (much better value)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowadays it takes few time from when a technique is invented to when someone puts a video on youtube on how to do it. Just think about the spiderweb effect by Sattler. So you just need to wait a few weeks and you'll get an idea on how to do that technique on youtube. Then you calculate costs and realize it's doable only if your shop is in Paris and you are selling pastries for 100 eur / kg. All these social media star professionals (Penkina, Yuen, Tarasova...) are not selling pastries, they are there to sell their image. Making a great looking pastry is a thing, making a profitable and sellable one is definetely another one. Try calculating the final price for a viennoiserie by Peter Yuen, then ask yourself if you have enough customers willing to shell that price.

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 6

Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 3:17 AM, pastrygirl said:

Does it say how long the video is? 

The video is 47 mins long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a complete beginner, then I would propably take it. If you ever made more than 3 mousse cakes with mirror glaze I would not.

 

There are really good points in this discussion. I was quite blind wanting to achieve these instagram perfections. I think in a store kitchen at a larger scale mirror glazing can be doable. But for me as a home chef mirror glazes are one big struggle.

 

On 10/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, teonzo said:

Try calculating the final price for a viennoiserie by Peter Yuen, then ask yourself if you have enough customers willing to shell that price.

I am curious.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vojta said:

If you are a complete beginner, then I would propably take it. If you ever made more than 3 mousse cakes with mirror glaze I would not.

 

There are really good points in this discussion. I was quite blind wanting to achieve these instagram perfections. I think in a store kitchen at a larger scale mirror glazing can be doable. But for me as a home chef mirror glazes are one big struggle.

 

I am curious.

 

 

Well I made myself these entremets with her online beginner class. Then I took her hands on masterclass. So it is quite viable to make mirror glaze entreemts at home;) ^^ So I encourage you to keep trying, you will get there^^

baking.in-20200420-0010.jpg

baking.in-20200420-0006.jpg

baking.in-20200420-0008.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, @baking.in said:

Well I made myself these entremets with her online beginner class. Then I took her hands on masterclass.

 

Goergeous! You know how to. I love eclipse shape.

 

Depends on you... read through outline of the course and think about how many new things you going to learn.

For me only her last lesson has high value for me (troubleshooting), if it was possible I would take just that one. For the whole I a) lack the money. And b) because I did some mousse cakes and mirror glazes, I can follow a recipe even with small instructions given. Thus I just purchased her ebook. :)

 

12 minutes ago, @baking.in said:

So it is quite viable to make mirror glaze entreemts at home;) ^^ So I encourage you to keep trying, you will get there^^

Thank you! ❤️ My only struggle is the lack of space in my freezer - what to do with leftover glaze. Maybe its a bit sweet too. I have no problems with the glaze by itself ^^ love it actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vojta said:

 

Goergeous! You know how to. I love eclipse shape.

 

Depends on you... read through outline of the course and think about how many new things you going to learn.

For me only her last lesson has high value for me (troubleshooting), if it was possible I would take just that one. For the whole I a) lack the money. And b) because I did some mousse cakes and mirror glazes, I can follow a recipe even with small instructions given. Thus I just purchased her ebook. :)

 

Thank you! ❤️ My only struggle is the lack of space in my freezer - what to do with leftover glaze. Maybe its a bit sweet too. I have no problems with the glaze by itself ^^ love it actually

Yes.... You definitely need space in the freezer to be cost efficient when preparing these entremets. I don't think her beginner class is worth the price, it is just my opinion after taking it. However, it is true that there are some small tips that are a game changer... But still too pricy for me 🧐🥴 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...