• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, dans said:

We were even more specific when assigning what people were to bring. Everyone has a specialty that they do well so that is what we assigned. For those that don't cook we assigned a pie or cookies. It made it so much easier to get a "balanced" meal and not one heavy with casseroles, deserts, or veggie platters.

We started doing 2 turkeys also. Cooking one on Thanksgiving day took up so much time in the oven. So we started cooking one bird the day before and cutting it up. Once I got the BGE, I started doing the second on it (adding a little apple or cherry wood). The second bird was always the first to go. Cooking it on the BGE freed up the oven for everything else that needed time there.

I always had a big crowd. I started doing a smoked turkey as #2 - warmed on the Weber BBQ. Well received with horseradish/sour cream sauce  AfricanAmerican parts of town have them cheap. Even Kroger derivative: Food4Less

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, dans said:

We were even more specific when assigning what people were to bring. Everyone has a specialty that they do well so that is what we assigned. For those that don't cook we assigned a pie or cookies. It made it so much easier to get a "balanced" meal and not one heavy with casseroles, deserts, or veggie platters.

We started doing 2 turkeys also. Cooking one on Thanksgiving day took up so much time in the oven. So we started cooking one bird the day before and cutting it up. Once I got the BGE, I started doing the second on it (adding a little apple or cherry wood). The second bird was always the first to go. Cooking it on the BGE freed up the oven for everything else that needed time there.

I always had a big crowd. I started doing a smoked turkey as #2 - warmed on the Weber BBQ. Well received with horseradish/sour cream sauce  AfricanAmerican parts of town have them cheap. Even Kroger derivative: "Food4Less