• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

This. I was doing some reading on Houzz where people were bitterly complaining about this product, but it seems like their fabricators were not used to dealing with it and repeatedly damaged it, prior to installation. On Neolith's site, there are specific handling instructions and equipment necessary, so like with anything, choosing the right installer is important. Since it's a relatively new product, some areas may not have any installers truly experienced or skilled with it, may treat it like any other stone product (which it's not) and cause damage and then blame the mfr of the material. 

People complain more bitterly on Houzz than on almost any other forum; it's kinda fun to read all the miserable bastards, especially when I'm not one of them! I like my Caesarstone; yes it has its issues ( I don't know how you got away with wax on your Caesaerstone, @Katie Meadow, as that's usually the cause of problems!) but it's a fucking kitchen, and kitchens get knocked around, and smashed, and heat, and steam, and pets, and kids, and visitors, and idiots who feed your pets who wear heels onto wooden floors, etc. etc.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

We've had soapstone for two years. There's a ding or two, but that adds character right? I'm very happy with it.

This. Don't get me started on what stainless stove tops look like after a few years!

weinoo

weinoo

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

This. I was doing some reading on Houzz where people were bitterly complaining about this product, but it seems like their fabricators were not used to dealing with it and repeatedly damaged it, prior to installation. On Neolith's site, there are specific handling instructions and equipment necessary, so like with anything, choosing the right installer is important. Since it's a relatively new product, some areas may not have any installers truly experienced or skilled with it, may treat it like any other stone product (which it's not) and cause damage and then blame the mfr of the material. 

People complain more bitterly on Houzz than on almost any other forum; it's kinda fun to read all the miserable bastards, especially when I'm not one of them! I like my Caesarstone; yes it has its issues ( I don't know how you got away with wax on your Caesaerstone, @Katie Meadow, as that's usually the cause of problems!) but it's a fucking kitchen, and kitchens get knocked around, and smashed, and heat, and steam, and pets, and kids, and visitors, and idiots who your pets who wear heels onto wooden floors, etc. etc.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

We've had soapstone for two years. There's a ding or two, but that adds character right? I'm very happy with it.

This. Don't get me started on what stainless stove tops look like after a few years!