• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

49 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Shelby, I don't suppose I've ever made nachos, and it's been a gazillion years since I ate some. What texture should I choose: firm, cheese sauce (mac & cheese) or thin?

There's a recipe for a nacho cheese sauce on the chefsteps site that's equivalent to the mac and cheese sauce in proportions. It just adds pickled jalapenos and a little salt to the cheese/liquid/sodium citrate combo. They also add a little sodium hexametaphosphate as an additional melting salt but that's not a necessity.

Edit: I'm going to give it  a try soon, maybe even for this weekend's football games, but I'm going to use pickled serranos instead of jalapenos. 

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

38 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Shelby, I don't suppose I've ever made nachos, and it's been a gazillion years since I ate some. What texture should I choose: firm, cheese sauce (mac & cheese) or thin?

There's a recipe for a nacho cheese sauce on the chefsteps site that's equivalent to the mac and cheese sauce in proportions. It just adds pickled jalapenos and a little salt to the cheese/liquid/sodium citrate combo. They also add a little sodium hexametaphosphate as an additional melting salt but that's not a necessity.