• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

LZB

LZB

typo

My beloved General Slicing (aka Kenwood) mixer, purchased in 1984 has finally bitten the dust. Yesterday it threw out sparks and popping noises and the smoke from the motor. I researched other threads about mixers but am finding only older threads from 2012, so I am asking, what do people recommend? The consensus seems to be the newer model Kitchenaides are not worth buying. I bake fairly regularly-breads, cakes, pastry (I'm a retired baker), so I want a workhorse. I don't think anything will last as long as my beloved little mixer. I appreciate any advice.

IMG_5756.JPG

LZB

LZB

My beloved General Slicing (aka Kenwood) mixer, purchased in 1984 has finally bitten the dust. Yesterday it threw out sparks and popping noises and the smoke from the motor. I researched other threads about mixers but am finding only older threads from 2012, so I am asking, what do people recommend? The consensus seems to be the newer model Kitchenaides are not worth buying. I bake fairly regularly-breads, cakes, pastry (I'm a retired baker), so I want a workhorse. I don't think anything will last as long as my beloved little mixer. I appreciate any advice.