• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

@Smithy

That is a noodle strainer. I have never thought that it would be used to hang on the side of a pan but I suppose if you had the right pan.... Someone with more knowledge of Japanese kitchenware will surely jump in here and fill in the blanks.   It is quite small, perhaps the size of a Japanese tea cup.

While shopping in this Japanese dollar store I got the sense that I had entered the world of lilliputians. It  wasn’t “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids”,  but honey, I shrunk all the kitchenware. So much seemed to have been miniaturized. 

Yes the item you think is a grilling  gizmo is for serving cold noodles. If you do a search on ‘zaru’  you will see that they are normally round rather than square. I fancied a square one. 

Anna N

Anna N

@Smithy

That is a noodle strainer. I have never thought that it would be used to hang on the side of a pan but I suppose if you had the right pan.... Someone with more knowledge of Japanese kitchenware will surely jump in here and fill in the blanks.   It is quite small, perhaps the size of a Japanese tea cup.

While shopping in this Japanese dollar store I got the sense that I had entered the world of lilliputians. It  wasn’t “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids”,  but honey, I shrunk all the kitchenware. So much seemed to have been miniaturized. 

Yes the item you think is a grilling  gizmo is for serving cold noodles. If you do a search on ‘zaru’  you will see that they are normally round rather than square. I fancied a square one.