• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jrshaul

jrshaul

I made Food52's Banana Upside Down cake  and wasn't terribly impressed. I made the recipe per instruction with two additions - some rum added to the brown sugar and butter before being entirely cooked off and 1/2tsp cinnamon added to the batter - and while I liked the overall idea of the thing and the crust produced baking in a skillet was great, but it had issues with texture, flavor, and preparation. 

Issues I had include:

1. Texture. It's less of a cake and closer to bread pudding. The best upside down cakes I've had were closer to a quick bread in consistency.
  2.  It's not sweet enough. The amount of brown sugar on the topping doesn't compensate for the lack of sugar in the recipe.   
  3. My bananas ended up ludicrously tough. This may have been an issue of using underripe bananas, though they seemed okay when I ate one. 
  4. It's bland and - due to the huge volume of buttermilk - sour. This was with the added cinnamon.
  5. The topping was not liquid enough, though I might have just overdone it cooking out the rum. 

Proposed amendments include: 

1.  Swapping the butter and brown sugar for a cooked sugar caramel similar to tarte tatin. I've had excellent banana tarte tatins before, and this is not so different.
  2.  Using a lower liquid volume and less oil or perhaps switching to butter entirely. Maybe just use a quick bread batter and see how it goes? 
  3.  Adjusting the recipe to use a 9" cast-iron cooking pot would allow for a taller cake, which I would prefer. 
  4.  Adding a rum syrup after baking (it's upside down anyway) as per rum cake would be nice. 

Any ideas? 

jrshaul

jrshaul

I made Food52's Banana Upside Down cake  and wasn't terribly impressed. I made the recipe per instruction with two additions - some rum added to the brown sugar and butter before being entirely cooked off and 1/2tsp cinnamon added to the batter - and while I liked the overall idea of the thing and the crust produced baking in a skillet was great, but it had issues with texture, flavor, and preparation. 

Issues I had include:

1. Texture. It's less of a cake and closer to bread pudding. The best upside down cakes I've had were closer to a quick bread in consistency.
  2.  It's not sweet enough. The amount of brown sugar on the topping doesn't compensate for the lack of sugar in the recipe.   
  3. My bananas ended up ludicrously tough. This may have been an issue of using underripe bananas, though they seemed okay when I ate one. 
  4. It's bland and - due to the huge volume of buttermilk - sour. This was with the added cinnamon.
  5. The topping was not liquid enough, though I might have just overdone it cooking out the rum. 

Proposed amendments include: 

1. Swapping the butter and brown sugar for a cooked sugar caramel similar to tarte tatin. I've had excellent banana tarte tatins before, and this is not so different.
2. Using a lower liquid volume and less oil or perhaps switching to butter entirely. Maybe just use a quick bread batter and see how it goes? 
3. Adjusting the recipe to use a 9" cast-iron cooking pot would allow for a taller cake, which I would prefer. 
4. Adding a rum syrup after baking (it's upside down anyway) as per rum cake would be nice. 

Any ideas?