• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

15 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Peterborough Costco used to carry Nanuk brand smoked salmon which I thought was pretty good, but they've stopped selling it. They now only carry some kind of smoked steelhead, which I don't like. And they carry another brand of smoked salmon in the freezer - it comes in individually vacuum packed small packets. It's better than the steelhead and it's nice to be able to take out just enough for a serving or two without thawing the whole side of salmon. I've seen - but not tried - smoked wild sockeye at Superstore. They seem to have several different brands of smoked salmon - you might give one of those a shot. All frozen ones.

If you should happen to end up in Toronto, I would recommend the smoked salmon from Central Epicure - they have an outlet near Steeles and Weston Road. They also do great smoked whitefish. It's in the middle of nowhere but not far off the 407 if you're up at that end of the city. I've also heard great things about Kristapsens (sp?) but have never had their smoked salmon so can't vouch personally.

Might try the Superstore ones.  Thanks Nyleve.   (And trust me, I'd never 'happen to end up in Toronto' anymore.  We have friends who come regularly from Mississauga and I'll scope that one out.  Edit: Nope, way too far out of their way to ask.) 

Don't think I'm up for making gravlax at this point.  But I might try it in the future.

Darienne

Darienne

15 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Peterborough Costco used to carry Nanuk brand smoked salmon which I thought was pretty good, but they've stopped selling it. They now only carry some kind of smoked steelhead, which I don't like. And they carry another brand of smoked salmon in the freezer - it comes in individually vacuum packed small packets. It's better than the steelhead and it's nice to be able to take out just enough for a serving or two without thawing the whole side of salmon. I've seen - but not tried - smoked wild sockeye at Superstore. They seem to have several different brands of smoked salmon - you might give one of those a shot. All frozen ones.

If you should happen to end up in Toronto, I would recommend the smoked salmon from Central Epicure - they have an outlet near Steeles and Weston Road. They also do great smoked whitefish. It's in the middle of nowhere but not far off the 407 if you're up at that end of the city. I've also heard great things about Kristapsens (sp?) but have never had their smoked salmon so can't vouch personally.

Might try the Superstore ones.  Thanks Nyleve.   (And trust me, I'd never 'happen to end up in Toronto' anymore.  We have friends who come regularly from Mississauga and I'll scope that one out.) 

Don't think I'm up for making gravlax at this point.  But I might try it in the future.