• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Last night I had a dream.  Let's be honest, this past afternoon.*  I had a craving for spareribs.  It was dark (in the dream).  I ran (something I used to do in my younger years) a long distance to the store.  It was some fancy store; not sure which one.  Since it was so late at night the store itself was closed but the prepared foods section was still open.  There was every imaginable form of sparerib for takeout or for eating at the counter.

I was served some ribs but I went looking for more sauce.  When I got back my plate had been cleared away.  The person next to me said I was fortunate I still had my seat.  The selection by this time was pretty thin.  The woman behind the counter showed me what they had.  Most of the remaining meat looked less than appetizing.  But there were some lovely large chops I ordered.  She said she needed the manager's approval.  The manager had just left for the night but she ran after and caught him.  He was not entirely pleased.

Turns out this particular meat had been stolen from an army base so I needed security clearance.  After much hassle the manager told me I was good to go.  But then I woke up.  Left with little more than a craving for spareribs.

Thankfully it was a beautiful fall day.  I girded on my hiking boots and headed off to Shoprite.  Shoprite had ribs for $2.49 a pound.  Had to buy a full rack.  Pulled off the silverskin, broke the rack down, and vacuum bagged most of it.  Grilled the rest on the Philips...

Pork10142019.png

Did I mention I love my Philips?

Dinner10142019.png

Served with baked potato and torn head of radicchio.  Radicchio and meat dipped liberally in Momofuku ramp ranch dressing.  Not having the courage of my convictions I made the ranch recipe from the alternative ingredients of scallions and pickled onions.  Fearing to hazard my priceless two jars of pickled ramps.

Momofuku ramp ranch dressing is adult candy.  Served with radicchio it hits all the taste buds.  Hard.

By itself kewpie tastes like sweetened meat paste, not necessarily a bad thing.  Add allium, lemon juice, and buttermilk and it is like crack.  David Chang should be arrested.

My arm is bleeding for no apparent reason.  Hope it clots before bed.

*left to my own devices I wake up about 3:00 pm.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Last night I had a dream.  Let's be honest, this past afternoon.*  I had a craving for spareribs.  It was dark (in the dream).  I ran (something I used to do in my younger years) a long distance to the store.  It was some fancy store; not sure which one.  Since it was so late at night the store itself was closed but the prepared foods section was still open.  There was every imaginable form of sparerib for takeout or for eating at the counter.

I was served some ribs but I went looking for more sauce.  When I got back my plate had been cleared away.  The person next to me said I was fortunate I still had my seat.  The selection by this time was pretty thin.  The woman behind the counter showed me what they had.  Most of the remaining meat looked less than appetizing.  But there were some lovely large chops I ordered.  She said she needed the manager's approval.  The manager had just left for the night but she ran after and caught him.  He was not entirely pleased.

Turns out this particular meat had been stolen from an army base so I needed security clearance.  After much hassle the manager told me I was good to go.  But then I woke up.  Left with little more than a craving for spareribs.

Thankfully it was a beautiful fall day.  I girded on my hiking boots and headed off to Shoprite.  Shoprite had ribs for $2.49 a pound.  Had to buy a full rack.  Pulled off the silverskin, broke it down, and vacuum bagged most of it.  Grilled the rest on the Philips...

Pork10142019.png

Did I mention I love my Philips?

Dinner10142019.png

Served with baked potato and torn head of radicchio.  Radicchio and meat dipped liberally in Momofuku ramp ranch dressing.  Not having the courage of my convictions I made the ranch recipe from the alternative ingredients of scallions and pickled onions.  Fearing to hazard my priceless two jars of pickled ramps.

Momofuku ramp ranch dressing is adult candy.  Served with radicchio it hits all the taste buds.  Hard.

By itself kewpie tastes like sweetened meat paste, not necessarily a bad thing.  Add allium, lemon juice, and buttermilk and it is like crack.  David Chang should be arrested.

My arm is bleeding for no apparent reason.  Hope it clots before bed.

*left to my own devices I wake up about 3:00 pm.