• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

11 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Two years ago in the North Carolina Smokies we stopped for lunch at a busy place that had tables outside on a bridge that spanned a babbling brook. It was lovely. I had pan fried catfish for the first and only time and it seemed super fresh and delicious. I pretended it came out the creek, and didn't ask any questions. 

I see farmed catfish for sale, but never buy it. One thing I would do is ask for the source. My understanding is that catfish farmed in the US are a small percentage of the catfish sold here, and that most of it comes from Asia, which usually means China.

You bring up interesting and important points.    While I am not a militantly local or fresh (vs frozen) shopper, it is worthwhile asking your supplier the source and even Googling to find out methods of production and harvesting.    There are better and "worser" producers and countries of production.   For instance, differences can affect pesticide, antibiotic, preservative exposure.

ETA, price differences can be startling.    Like the difference between a Sonoma bunny and a Chinese bunny.    You need to know the difference in order to choose what you demand or are willing to accept.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

6 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Two years ago in the North Carolina Smokies we stopped for lunch at a busy place that had tables outside on a bridge that spanned a babbling brook. It was lovely. I had pan fried catfish for the first and only time and it seemed super fresh and delicious. I pretended it came out the creek, and didn't ask any questions. 

I see farmed catfish for sale, but never buy it. One thing I would do is ask for the source. My understanding is that catfish farmed in the US are a small percentage of the catfish sold here, and that most of it comes from Asia, which usually means China.

You bring up interesting and important points.    While I am not a militantly local or fresh (vs frozen) shopper, it is worthwhile asking your supplier the source and even Googling to find out methods of production and harvesting.    There are better and "worser" producers and countries of production.   For instance, differences can affect pesticide, antibiotic, preservative exposure.