• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I don't remember if I have mentioned Don before but I first had chislic around 45 years ago in North-central Kansas where I was a teacher and a he was a fellow teacher who  served it at a party he threw.  Wikipedia says it is a red meat dish mainly localized in South Dakota.  Don was from South Dakota and he said it was a popular bar food. To see more about it, you can go to the blogspot listed at the bottom of this post. He has always made it with skewered lamb.  This is the first time I have tried it .  Charlie said it was delicious and tasted just like Don's.  We had it with corn and snow peas. Over the years, Don built a 'castle' on an island in the middle of a pond on land he owned and had his chislic parties there.  Several people gave him additions for the castle. I made some gargoyles, a moat monster, a bridge troll and a plaque that said Schloss Insel. 

013_10A (1).jpg

017_17.jpg

20190429_171838.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I first had chislic around 45 years ago in North-central Kansas where I was a teacher and a fellow teacher served it at a party he threw.  Wikipedia says it is a red meat dish mainly localized in South Dakota.  Don was from South Dakota and he said it was a popular bar food. To see more about it, you can go to the blogspot listed at the bottom of this post. He has always made it with skewered lamb.  This is the first time I have tried it .  Charlie said it was delicious and tasted just like Don's.  We had it with corn and snow peas. Over the years, Don built a 'castle' on an island in the middle of a pond on land he owned and had his chislic parties there.  Several people gave him additions for the castle. I made some gargoyles, a moat monster, a bridge troll and a plaque that said Schloss Insel. 

013_10A (1).jpg

017_17.jpg

20190429_171838.jpg