• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

@FauxPas - Curious as to what flavour profile you use for your pickled beets....I have been making them for years and enjoy hearing how others season theirs!

I almost always have them in the fridge.I snack on them with popcorn (odd duck here). I like star anise and part balsamic. Sometimes a bit of orange zest and juice (I have trees). Sometimes I will toss some poor man's capers in (nasturtium seed pods) - adds a textural zing. And yes feta and beets are date matched :) (and maybe some toasted hazelnuts or walnuts)

ETA: always enough sugar to highlight their natural sweetness with amount depending on how naturally sweet they are.and rough cracked pepper. Trader Joe's Seville orange marmalade sometimes gets dolloped in. Any yes I admit to using canned beets if that is all available - but use the whole tiny ones.

heidih

heidih

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

@FauxPas - Curious as to what flavour profile you use for your pickled beets....I have been making them for years and enjoy hearing how others season theirs!

I almost always have them in the fridge.I snack on them with popcorn (odd duck here). I like star anise and part balsamic. Sometimes a bit of orange zest and juice (I have trees). Sometimes I will toss some poor man's capers in (nasturtium seed pods) - adds a textural zing. And yes feta and beets are date matched :) (and maybe some toasted hazelnuts or walnuts)