• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I got them fresh ONCE at the Korean market near me that went out of business. They were pretty divine, however, they have ruined me for ever buying the canned ones again. You would not believe how lightly and perfectly sweet, to balance a savory dish, and just how wonderfully crisp the fresh ones are, if all you've had experience of are canned. I had to peel them myself, and it's a PITA, but worth the effort.

The drawback is the fresh ones are quite perishable, and some of mine went to waste. I thought they would last longer in their tough armored shells. 

Yeah, they don't keep well, but then Chinese shoppers tend to only buy what they will prepare that day, or next at worst, so it doesn't really matter a lot.

I couldn't do the canned ones again. but after 23 years in China, I don't have to. I've never seen them canned here but then again, I see very little canned.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I got them fresh ONCE at the Korean market near me that went out of business. They were pretty divine, however, they have ruined me for ever buying the canned ones again. You would not believe how lightly and perfectly sweet, to balance a savory dish, and just how wonderfully crisp the fresh ones are, if all you've had experience of are canned. I had to peel them myself, and it's a PITA, but worth the effort.

The drawback is the fresh ones are quite perishable, and some of mine went to waste. I thought they would last longer in their tough armored shells. 

Yeah, the don't keep well, but then Chinese shoppers tend to only buy what they will prepare that day, or next at worst, so it doesn't really matter a lot.

I couldn't do the canned ones again but after 23 years in China, I don't have to. I've never seen them canned here but then again, I see very little canned.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yeah, the don't keep well, but then Chinese shoppers tend to only buy what they will prepare that day, or next at worst, so it doesn't really matter a lot.

I couldn't do the canned ones again but after 23 years in China, I don't have to. I've never seen them canned herebut then again, I see very little canned.