• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale (of my paycheck) it will be close to two weeks before I can do any experiments beyond canned soup.  Meanwhile I shall be studying the subject.

But there is a possibility.  I have about half a kilogram of several year old milk chocolate bars.  Made in Canada.  Some filled with caramel, some with almonds.  In their present state the bars are pretty vile.  In truth they were pretty vile when fresh.  But I could melt them down in the Precise Heat Mixing Bowl if that would help for science.

Unfortunately Trader Joe's is too far for me to get to.  What chocolate should I use that one could find at Shoprite?

You could do the ones with almonds - I'd skip the ones with caramel. Those I'd bin immediately - the others you can bin after your tempering trials. 

I don't know about Shoprite but a Walmart will usually have big bars that I believe are French or Belgian - the brand is Waterford or something like that.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Due to a terrible miscalculation of scale (of my paycheck) it will be close to two weeks before I can do any experiments beyond canned soup.  Meanwhile I shall be studying the subject.

But there is a possibility.  I have about half a kilogram of several year old milk chocolate bars.  Made in Canada.  Some filled with caramel, some with almonds.  In their present state the bars are pretty vile.  In truth they were pretty vile when fresh.  But I could melt them down in the Precise Heat Mixing Bowl if that would help for science.

Unfortunately Trader Joe's is too far for me to get to.  What chocolate should I use that one could find at Shoprite?

You could do the ones with almonds - I'd skip the ones with caramel. Those I'd bin. 

I don't know about Shoprite but a Walmart will usually have big bars that I believe are French or Belgian - the brand is Waterford or something like that.