• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

41 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I'm guessing you might have retirement homes over there?  Offer to do a chocolate demo for an afternoon activity.  Bring your business cards, and samples of your offerings, and packages available to purchase.   About 15-20% of my customers have come via the local retirement village here- and those folks have LOTS of connections in the community- which equates to lots more customers.    Each spring, I do a demo.  I sell everything I bring, and walk out with hundreds of $ in orders, and they light up my phone during the holidays.  I deliver the items to them, and since they're all in one place- its easy. 

Don't skimp on your presentation packaging either.  I go all out on that, and it pays off. 

It might be different if it's the local neighborhood residents out for their daily stroll, but I've found that senior citizens tend not to be great customers, except when buying cute holiday things for the grandchildren.  My take is that fixed incomes plus health or dental issues get in the way, plus older clientele often want more plain or classic flavors.  It'll take some time to see who wants what.

Re:packaging ... uuuuuuuuggggggghhhh.  How much does 'all out' cost you?  How much of the retail price do you allow for packaging?  I'm working on packaging again, or still, and it's so frustrating.  How do you make money,  just charge more?  I could probably charge more anyway 🤔  My packaging goal is to streamline the process and increase margins ... not to hijack, if OP is in a few stores already, hopefully their packaging is already sorted out.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

16 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

I'm guessing you might have retirement homes over there?  Offer to do a chocolate demo for an afternoon activity.  Bring your business cards, and samples of your offerings, and packages available to purchase.   About 15-20% of my customers have come via the local retirement village here- and those folks have LOTS of connections in the community- which equates to lots more customers.    Each spring, I do a demo.  I sell everything I bring, and walk out with hundreds of $ in orders, and they light up my phone during the holidays.  I deliver the items to them, and since they're all in one place- its easy. 

Don't skimp on your presentation packaging either.  I go all out on that, and it pays off. 

It might be different if it's the local neighborhood residents out for their daily stroll, but I've found that senior citizens tend not to be great customers, except when buying cute holiday things for the grandchildren.  My take is that fixed incomes plus health or dental issues get in the way, plus older clientele often want more plain or classic flavors.  It'll take some time to see who wants what.

Re:packaging ... uuuuuuuuggggggghhhh.  How much does 'all out' cost you?  How much of the retail price do you allow for packaging?  I'm working on packaging again, or still, and it's so frustrating.  I sell a box of 12 cocoa-dusted truffles for $12 retail, $6 wholesale.  I can't see spending much more than $1 on the packaging.  Would a cuter box sell for $15? Should they be $15 even without a cuter box? 🤔  My packaging goal is to streamline the process and increase margins ... not to hijack, if OP is in a few stores already, hopefully their packaging is already sorted out.