• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

10 hours ago, jrshaul said:

For the plebes in the audience, what should I know to get up to speed for this?

Most important thing to know is that these are very casual and friendly, and there is a wide, wide range of skills levels and areas of expertise or interest. Every year we have people who are more skilled at eating chocolates and confections than making them.

Beyond that the formal program is Saturday and Sunday where we have a mix of peer-led instruction and more formal workshops. You can go to any or none. We also hold a Master Class on Friday for more experienced folks. Depending on what the topic is and where it is held, that will determine how many people and what skill level are required. We hold tours on Thursday for folks wanting to come in early, and/or we hold them on Friday for people not in the Master Class. We also do social gatherings Friday night and Saturday nights including a 'bring your creations' sharing event. Think of this as adult show-and-tell with souped up instruction. Long-timers, did I miss anything crucial?

gfron1

gfron1

10 hours ago, jrshaul said:

For the plebes in the audience, what should I know to get up to speed for this?

Most important thing to know is that these are very casual and friendly, and there is a wide, wide range of skills levels and areas of expertise or interest. Every year we have people who are more skilled at eating chocolates and confections than making them.

Beyond that the formal program is Saturday and Sunday where we have a mix of peer-led instruction and more formal workshops. You can go to any or none. We also hold a Master Class on Friday for more experienced folks. Depending on what the topic is and where it is held, that will determine how many people and what skill level are required. We also do social gatherings Friday night and Saturday nights including a 'bring your creations' sharing event. Think of this as adult show-and-tell with souped up instruction. Long-timers, did I miss anything crucial?