• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 6/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, btbyrd said:

Have you tried cooking it not in a bag? I'm not much of a fan of tender cuts of beef cooked SV. It can be convenient and easy, but I find it is seldom more delicious than cooking conventionally. SV steaks have a tendency to get a grainy. coarse texture that I don't really enjoy. 

I haven't experienced this, but suspect it has to do with the thickness of the cut (and the corresponding cooking time). For SV I always get steaks cut to 1-1/2 inches. Any thicker and cook time is too long. Thinner and it's hard to sear them without cooking through (unless you have monstrous BTUs). For prime, dry aged steaks, the best I've had have been cooked s.v.  For more modest steaks, I prefer methods that let you put on a more serious sear / char. This meat can use help from the added seasoning of smoke and fire.

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 6/3/2018 at 10:42 PM, btbyrd said:

Have you tried cooking it not in a bag? I'm not much of a fan of tender cuts of beef cooked SV. It can be convenient and easy, but I find it is seldom more delicious than cooking conventionally. SV steaks have a tendency to get a grainy. coarse texture that I don't really enjoy. 

I haven't experienced this, but suspect it has to do with the thickness of the cut (and the corresponding cooking time). For SV I always get steaks cut to 1-1/2 inches. Any thicker and cook time is too long. Thinner and it's hard to sear them without cooking through (unless you have monstrous BTUs). For prime, dry aged steaks, the best I've had have been cooked s.v.  For more modest steaks, I prefer methods that let you put on a more serious sear / char. This meat needs help from the added seasoning of smoke and fire.